Lent 2016 ~ Week 6: Katie Robb Davis
Week 6 Instructions & Discussion Questions
If you’re meeting in a group, please open in prayer. Next go ahead and watch the video, week. Following the video, read the questions and quotes provided to prompt discussion but to also help people identify God’s call in their lives today and in the past.
Open in prayer
Call to Serve Community
“Where God is leading us, and how we can respond.”
- “You have to lose your life to find it. Those who lose their life for me will find it.” Katie shared this quote when talking about being called to leave her ‘comforts’ for her call to Florida. In what ways have you imagined your life going that did not turn out the way that you thought it would?
- In this series we have been looking back on our life to understand our call. From this people can see the “threads” that connected these events in their life, when earlier they could not. Because we might not see the reason for our life choices until much later in time.
How might knowledge of this provide encouragement to our journeys?What are some of the “dots” that you might already be able to connect, and some that you are uncertain about?
- Katie was told that “the church is your hearts home.”What is your hearts home?
- “To understand what God wants God can do nothing, but giving you the desire.” Paraphrasing the Medieval theologian, St. Thomas Aquinas. In other words, God puts desire in our hearts so we could know God’s will.
How might our desires be the way to know what God wants for us?
- Katie said “Don’t ask what the word needs, ask what makes you come alive because what the world needs is people to come alive.”
What does this quote mean to you?
- “She was able to reflect a truth back to me that I wasn’t able to articulate…we believe that we [can] hear God through community”
Share a time you have heard God through another person/community.
- Referring to ‘trying’ to hear God Katie says that “sometimes you just let the community, your church, hold you accountable”
What does that look like? What is it like to be that community? What is it like to be the person that needs the community in that why?
- Katie & John talk about how we sometimes place too much expectation on how God is calling us that leads us to get stuck in the waiting, waiting for the certitude of God’s call. What helps you to stop waiting and take ‘the first step?’
- What have you learned or experienced from this study that most surprised you?
- How does your future look different now?
Suggested Closing Prayer
The Lord’s Prayer